Thursday 12 July 2012

Serendipity!

I'm in love.

With a house.

Still, probably less expensive on the strings of heart and purse.

Serendipity means a "happy accident" or "pleasant surprise"; specifically, the accident of finding something good or useful without looking for it. The word has been voted one of the ten English words hardest to translate in June 2004 by a British translation company. However, due to its sociological use, the word has been exported into many other languages. Julius H. Comroe once described serendipity as : to look for a needle in a haystack and get out of it with the farmer's daughter.

In 2002, Nicholas Sparks published the book Nights in Rodanthe that was later adapted into a movie. George C. Wolfe directed this film adaptation, which was partially filmed in the town of Rodanthe and entirely filmed in eastern North Carolina – including Cape Hatteras, Southport and Wilmington. The movie was released on September 26, 2008. Several Rodanthe landmarks such as the Rodanthe Pier were used during filming. During film production, one of the rental houses, Serendipity, the north-easternmost house in Rodanthe, was transformed into the fictional Inn at Rodanthe. This house was damaged and condemned after a Nor'easter storm in November 2009. The house was saved from demolition by a private business man from Newton, N.C. and moved less than one mile south.

I've tried to find a clip from the film of the first glimpse of the inn (Serendipity), when I first saw it I looked on in horror as I thought 'what on earth is it, it looks dreadful, why would anyone pay to go there?'.  Then I found myself smiling more and more as the camera panned around the whole building and that was it. I fell in love.  The location, the exterior and the interior all just did it for me, what can I say, my taste has always been questionable!

The only footage I can find is someones holiday footage of the area, it doesn't do it any justice and it looks very different to how it looked in the film (I've managed to find a photo from the film) but it'll have to do.

Photo of Serendipity from the film




No comments:

Post a Comment