Friday 29 July 2011

Get on TV Day!

FAIL - But not for want of trying!

See, I promised you earlier this year, when I had to reschedule this, that it was because I had a plan!

So, I toddled off with Bernie and a box full of stuff to the Antiques Roadshow at the York Museum and Gardens :-)

I spent the the night before convinced that if I did end up on telly I'd end up tripping over my own feet, saying something utterly ridiculous, looking very disappointed when I find out that my crap is worth nothing, or saying something I might regret about Auntie Betty!

So, after queing for an incredibly long time (this was the queue to tell you which further queue you had to join depending on what you'd brought!) we ended up at the Collectibles table.  Each table had 2 experts and Bernie and I had already noticed that one of the experts was really paying attention to everything put in front of him and engaging fully with the public, the other one just seemed to be an arrogant tool (for want of a better word!) - guess which one we ended up with!







The first thing he picked up was my little wooden bear...................

"It's a bear, what more do you want to know?" was all he said before putting it to one side and dismissing it  - which turned out to be pretty much how he dealt with everything I'd taken with me!


Having already done a bit of research about my little bear I made a point of very obviously looking at its engraved foot as I picked it up to pack it back away - this caught the attention of our 'expert' at which point he took it back of me and gave it a little more attention.  This caught the eye of the other expert (who we'll refer to as Bloke who actually knew what he was talking about)...........

Bloke who actually knew what he was talking about - "Is that a Bojensen bear?!"
Our 'expert' - "Um, yes, I think that's what it says on its foot"
(More conversation from Bloke who actually knew what he was talking about re Bojensen wooden toys etc)
Our 'expert' - "But it's not worth anything is it?"
Bloke who actually knew what he was talking about - "Oh yeah, a dealer would pay £30 - £40 pounds for it and sell for it on for £80 - £100!"
Me (to Bloke who actually knew what he was talking about) - "I don't suppose you want to look at the rest of my stuff do you?!"

This didn't really go down well with our 'expert' (ooops!) who advised me that it doesn't work like that!

Anyway, we didn't have anything interesting or valuable enough (or so we were told by our 'expert') to warrant an appearance on TV (sorry Boss, no autograph from Fiona!) and we spent so long in queues that there was no time to wander round and try to get in an audience shot!

Will need to give this one some serious thought next year!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment